Benefits of Shepherds Purse plant
Although shepherd's purse is a common medicinal herb, unfortunately, its therapeutic uses are not widely known. The herb is very appreciated for its potential of treating muscle afflictions as well as adjusting blood circulation.
Description of Shepherds Purse plantShepherd's purse is a perennial herb which has on its stem small heart shaped leaves. Because of that, the herb bears likenesses with the knapsack that shepherds have, and that is where it gets its popular as well as scientific name from.
The leaves situated at the base of the stem are positioned in such a way that from between them the stem rises bearing more tiny heart shaped leaves.
The herb begins blooming in the spring season, starting from April and all the way to November. It is harvested only in April when its active compounds reach their maximum quantity. The harvested herbs are then left to dry in dark dry places.
Proprieties and benefits of Shepherds PurseThis herb contains alkaloids, substances like thiamine, histamine, histidine, flavonoids, phenolic compounds, organic acids, tannins, lectins, bitter compounds, volatile oil, mineral salts, and vitamins. Shepherd's purse has analeptic properties, can adjust blood pressure, and is also a haemostatic herb, an astringent vasoconstrictor able to stimulate leucocytosis.
- It has haemostatic and vasoconstrictor effects and it can be used to treat all types of bleedings: nosebleeds, stomach bleeds, and menorrhagia.
- It has a considerable effect over the uterus, adjusting the menstrual cycle and putting a stop to the abundant uterine bleedings.
- In affections such as atherosclerosis, angina pectoris, it is recommended to drink tea from shepherd's purse because it can adjust blood pressure.
- Prolonged treatments with tea or tincture prevent nasal hemorrhoids and abundant menstrual cycles, especially in the cases of hypertensive women or those suffering from obesity.
- In cases of stress or anxiety, the use of mixtures made from shepherd's purse, is recommended. Also, in case of bug bites, the wounds are massaged with mashed herb.
This medicinal herb has good results in dealing with muscle-related illnesses. In case of muscle atrophy it is recommended to rub the spots with shepherd's purse tincture and to drink four cups of tea made of lady's mantle herb. This treatment can also be applied in cases of hernias.
Diets based on shepherd's purse last around 15 consecutive days after which 15 days of break are taken. Women will begin the treatment 10 days before their menstrual cycle.
Shepherds Purse teaTea made from shepherd's purse is obtained by boiling a spoonful of the herb finely cut in a cup of water. It is then strained and consumed 2-3 cups a day.
Shepherds Purse tinctureTincture from shepherd's purse is prepared only from the freshly cut herb dissolved in alcohol heated to 60 degrees. It is then left to macerate for 10 days after which 3 spoonfuls of infusion, water with lemon drops and honey are administrated.
For external treatment, 5-6 spoonfuls of tincture are put in a cold, concentrated infusion.