Onion benefitsWith a special culinary value, onion is a food that should not miss from our daily menu. It can be eaten raw, boiled, baked, fried or dry, in various preparations. As thermally treatment destroys its nutrition value, is recommended to be eaten raw. For people with sensitive stomach, you can let it soak in olive oil over night and use it the next day in salads. It also may be "soaked" if we keep it for some time in a jar with water, salt and lemon juice.
Onions have amazing medicinal qualities and replace a lot of drugs! The main constituents are vitamins C, E, B6, potassium, phosphorus and calcium, sodium, iron, sulfur, iodine, silicon and others too. Also it is low calories (100 g = 38 kcal) and helps burn fat. Those who consume it on a regular basis are less exposed to heart disease, colds and rheumatism. Valued for its therapeutic tonic and anti-infective virtues, onion is a major health and longevity factor.
Why cry when cleaning it? Onions have a rich content in sulfur compounds. Some of them are responsible for flavor and effect of eye irritation, producing tears.
Tricks in ... sheets of onion!- Onions will parch well if you add some sugar in the oil;
- Fried onion will taste better if you spread some flour on it first;
- For a more tasteful salad, mince the onion, put in on a strainer and boil it;
- Freezes onion will become fresh if you keep it for 3 hours in cold water;
- To combat the unpleasant smell eat lemon, parsley or propolis;
- Sheets of onion contain many vitamins and minerals; don�t throw them, wash them and add them in the food (when boiling broth, fish sauce, meat), then remove them when finish.
Properties of onion - internal use:- General stimulus (nervous system, liver, kidney)
- Strong diuretic
Usage - external use:- Antiseptic
- Sedative, calming
Indications - internal use:- Bladder stones
- Intestinal fermentation
Indications - For external use:- Abscesses, boils, chilblains (cracks), warts, freckles, migraine
- Ulcers, burns
Usage - internal use:
Raw onion:- Flu: -2 sliced onions (leave to soak for several hours) + 12 liters of water; drink 1 cup between meals and 1 before going to bed (for 15 days);
- Diarrhea: a handful of onion foils (outer shell) + 1 liter of water (boiled 10 minutes). Drink half a liter per day;
- Intestinal parasites: -1 onion (leave to soak for 6 days) + 1 liter of water. Drink 1 cup each morning for a week;
- Rheumatism: 3 unpeeled onions + 1 liter of water (boiled for 15 minutes). Drink one cup each morning and before bedtime;
- Biliary lithiasis: -1 fine cut onion + 4 tablespoons of olive oil water + 150 g of unsalted grease. Drink hot tea more nights in a row (boil 10 minutes).
Usage - external use:- Rheumatism: cataplasms (small raw onions + mustard)
- Migraines: cataplasm with slices of raw onion
- Insect stings: Rub the place for 2-3 minutes with a raw onion
- Abscess: cataplasms of baked onions
- Chilblains: compresses with onion juice
- Burns, cuts: the thin skin (which separates the sheets of the onion) is applied on the injury
- Neuralgia teeth: place in the tooth cavity cotton pad soaked in onion juice
- Otitis: onion juice + hot oil, dripped into the ear
Find out more about fruits and vegetables.
What is Artichoke
It can be said about nettle that it is one of the wonder plants that nature has gifted us with. It is renowned because of its astringent, expectorant, tonic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic properties and as an important source of beta-carotene, vitamin
With a high variety of pharmaceutical actions, proving its powers not only in curative treatments but also in nutrition, ginseng truly represents an elixir of life due to its stimulant, tonic and energizing effects. It slows the ageing process
Fennel is a herb native to the Mediterranean region which gained popularity ever since the Middle Ages when it was cultivated near monasteries. Also, fennel is one of the nine sacred herbs of the saxons which was capable to cure the nine instances of
Also called "the elixir of youth" by the Russians, "the herb of immortality" by the old Egyptians or the "harmonious remedy" by the Chinese, Aloe vera is without a doubt the medicinal herb most widely known for its