Have you ever found yourself staring at a pack of chicken sausages in the grocery store and thinking about how to turn them into a mouthwatering, delectable meal? Well, if yes, you are in for a yummy treat!
Chicken sausage is a delightful and versatile ingredient that has found its way into kitchens worldwide. Due to its diverse flavors and leaner profile, it is considered the healthiest alternative to traditional pork sausages, offering a canvas for culinary creativities without compromising taste. It is easy and quick to prepare anytime, especially when you are in a hurry for work or too tired to cook heavy meals.
Also, this delicious and simple ingredient can be a part of various dishes, from quick breakfast classics to delectable dinner treats. However, all this is impossible without knowing the secret of cooking chicken sausages perfectly.
Whether you are a seasonal cook, a food enthusiast trying to explore new flavors, or looking for a super simple and flavorful solution to satisfy midnight cravings, mastering the art of cooking chicken sausages will be a worthy skill.
In this article, we will explore the world of chicken sausages and answer the most common question that arises in the minds of foodies: How to cook chicken sausages?
We will walk through different methods of cooking sausages, each with its advantages, its nutritional benefits, storage techniques, and some key tips that will help to delight your taste buds.
So, grab your favorite chicken sausages pack, and let’s embark on a journey to learn the mystery of perfectly cooking chicken sausages, unlocking their full potential and elevating your culinary experiences.
How to cook chicken sausages?
Cooking chicken sausages is a quick and effortless process with a yummy outcome. You can cook chicken sausages with several methods depending on your comfort level and preferences.
Here is a guide on how to cook chicken sausages with perfection:
Ingredients you need:
- Chicken sausages
- Cooking oil
Tools you need:
- Pan or skillet
- Oven safe dish
Cooking methods for pre-cooked sausages: (4 methods)
Here are 4 common cooking methods that you can use to make these delicious delights nicely in no time. Let’s get started!
In a skillet (on the stove)
This method is the most common one, but it takes time. You can use this method if you have some extra minutes to invest. All you need to do is
- Take a skillet or pan (whatever is available).
- Place the skillet or pan over medium-high flame.
- Preheat it nicely to ensure thorough cooking.
- Brush some cooking oil, such as olive oil or sunflower, in the pan or skillet. It will not only
- enhance the flavors but prevent sticking to the bottom.
- Once the pan gets hot enough, remove the sausages from the pack.
- Put the sausages in the pan or skillet. Avoid overcrowding for optimal taste.
- Cook the sausages for 8-10 minutes on each side. Turn the sides occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- When the sausages start to turn light brown and are heated through, please turn off the flame and remove them from the pan.
- Serve the sausages with sauces and enjoy.
This cooking method is the easiest and simplest of all. You can put the sausages in the oven, set the timer, and do other chores. Once it is done, remove them from the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line an oven-safe dish with a baking sheet or parchment paper.
- Brush oil on the sheet. It will keep sausages from sticking together.
- Line the sausages in the dish.
- Place the dish in the oven with aluminum foil.
- Cook the sausages for 20-25 minutes or until the sausages are fully cooked.
- Do not forget to turn the sides of the sausages halfway through. It is crucial to avoid overcooking and browning.
In air fryer
Cooking sausages in the air fryer is a bit intensive process. However, it ensures thorough cooking and imparts nice flavors to the sausages.
To air fry chicken sausages, all you need to do is:
- Preheat the air fryer at 400°F.
- Place the sausages in the air fryer basket.
- Cook them on each side for 6-7 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove the sausages from the basket when they turn golden brown or cooked nicely.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious meal.
Grilling the sausages is a quick preparation method. It will help to make a flavorful and healthy meal in almost no time.
- Place the grill over medium-high heat.
- Brush oil on the grill.
- Once the grill is heated, place the sausages on the grill.
- Cook the sausages for 10-12 minutes each side or until thoroughly cooked.
For raw chicken sausages
You can use any of the methods mentioned above to cook raw chicken sausages. However, the cooking time may vary slightly because packaged sausages are usually pre-cooked, so they do not need much time for preparation.
Instead, raw sausages will need more time to cook. But, they will turn out more flavorful and delectable because of being fresh.
What side dishes can you serve with chicken sausages?
Pairing chicken sausages with exciting side dishes will make a complete meal and enhance the overall dining experience. Here are some delicious and versatile options that you can serve with chicken sausages:
- Mashed potatoes: Mashed potatoes are a universal side dish. They complement almost all types of meals perfectly. Creamy potatoes mashed with seasonings balance the proteins and flavors of sausages.
- Coleslaw: Coleslaw is a great side option. Its vibrant colors and creamy dressing make your meals tasty. The mixture of carrots and cabbage introduces a crunchy texture and enhances the appearance of food.
- Roasted or grilled vegetables: Lightly seasoned grilled or roasted vegetables such as bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, etc, are comforting side meals. They add a fresh, earthy flavor and nutrition to your food.
- Quinoa salad: Incorporating quinoa salad into your meal as a side is a super healthy way to have proteins along with flavors.
- Polenta: Serving polenta as a side dish with chicken sausages makes a complete meal. Creamy polenta absorbs the sharp protein flavors of sausages and provides a comfortable feel.
How To Store Chicken Sausages?
Storing the leftover chicken sausage is important to preserve their freshness and quality. You can store chicken sausages in the refrigerator or the freezer. (depending upon your preference and need)
In the fridge
- Put the leftover sausage in an airtight container or vacuum-sealed bag. It will limit the exposure to air and prevent spoilage.
- Label the date on the container or bag to record freshness.
- Put the sausages in the fridge. It will slow down bacterial growth and preserve quality.
- Consume the sausages within 3-4 days for best quality and taste.
In the freezer (For long-term storage)
If you have no plans to use the leftover sausages in a few days, consider freezing them. Freezing will extend the life of sausages for weeks without any significant loss of taste and quality.
- Toss the sausages in a freezer-safe bag.
- Seal the bag tightly. It will prevent freezer burn and quality damage.
- Place the sausage bag in the meat portion of the freezer.
- Use it within the first week of storage to enjoy the optimal quality.
How To Reheat Chicken Sausages?
Reheating chicken sausages is crucial to revive their flavor and freshness. There are several methods that you can choose to reheat chicken sausages. The most common ones include reheating on the stove, in the oven, or in the microwave. You can also reheat sausages using the sous vide method.
On the stove
- Heat the pan.
- Brush a little oil on the pan.
- Place the sausages in the pan.
- Cook for a few minutes or until they are thoroughly heated.
- Remove the sausages when done.
- Preheat the oven.
- Place the sausages in the dish with having baking sheet or parchment paper.
- Bake for a few minutes.
- Make sure to turn the sides frequently to avoid overheating.
- Preheat the microwave.
- Place the sausages on the microwave-safe plate.
- Toss the sausages in the microwave.
- Heat for a few minutes or until they are thoroughly heated.
- Remove when done.
Nutritional Benefits Of Chicken Sausages
Besides being a delectable treat, chicken sausages offer numerous nutritional benefits, making them a great option for those looking for a healthy alternative to traditional pork sausages. Unlike pork sausages, chicken sausages are a rich protein source for muscle growth, repair, and body functioning.
These sausages are lean. Low cholesterol levels make them a comfortable choice for people with heart problems or blood pressure issues. Chicken sausages contain many essential vitamins, such as B12, niacin, and B6. These vitamins are crucial in forming blood cells, nerve functioning, and metabolism.
Tips For Optimal Results
Here are some key tips that will help you achieve optimal results when cooking sausages:
- Choose good quality sausages. Look for the ingredients, flavors, and additives used.
- Use the proper cooking method and watch the sausages to avoid sticking and overcooking.
- Let the packaged sausages stay at room temperature for a few minutes before cooking. It will ensure even cooking.
- If using an oven or air fryer, make sure to preheat perfectly.
- Use high-quality cooking oil for better flavor and texture.
Should you boil chicken sausage?
No, boiling the chicken sausages is not commonly recommended as it may lead to loss of texture and bland taste. Boiling will make the sausage rubbery and diminish its natural crispiness,
How do you make sausage meat moist?
Add breadcrumbs, grated apples, and vegetables to make sausage meat moist. They will help retain the moisture while cooking.
Why do you put vinegar in sausage?
Vinegar has an acidic profile. It is commonly added to the sausage to enhance their flavors and balance meat fats. Also, vinegar tenderizes the meat and imparts a tangy taste to your sausages.
Should sausages be cooked fast or slow?
It would help if you slow-cooked the sausages. Slow cooking ensures a thorough and evenly cooked treat. Additionally, it allows the sausages to develop and intensify the flavors nicely.
Chicken sausages are a tasty meal option. They are a healthy alternative to traditional sausages. Mastering the art of cooking these chicken sausages opens up a world of versatile and flavorful culinary experiences. There are several methods to prepare these delicious delights. Choosing a proper cooking method and attention to detail allows you to create yummy chicken sausages that satisfy any food palate.